Re: Light intensity

> I would like to see a discussion on two topics:
>
> 1) What level of lighting do the experts use (Tom, Roger, Neil, Karen, Erik,
> Diana, Charley, Jon, ... you know who you are)?

I don't fit into this category (yet... however, I am determined...), so I
can't comment.

> 2) Why do many of you think "more is better"?  IMHO, more is never better.
> More is trouble. Just enough is better.

What exactly is "just enough"? I do not believe that more is better as far
as light is concerned, but how does one go about figuring out what is "Just
enough"?

I started a green water thread a few days ago (however, I am not the
gentleman with 110 watts over a 20 gal tank), and someone replied that I may
have too much light over my 40gal (high) tank (126 watts). Considering this,
I was looking at my tank last night while the micron filter worked its
magic. The "watts/gal rule" is only a guideline, designed to provide a
_general_ rule that can/may, won't/may not apply to every tank. This I
consider a to be a "duh"! Looking at my setup, I deduced that 1) my tank is
fairly deep (24"), 2) It is pretty heavily planted (although this is
subjective), and 3) I am looking for a fairly high growth rate tank (also
subjective).

I like the look of a brightly lit planted tank, but not one where the tank
lights up the whole room. I believe I have the right amount of light for
this tank. I may let the lamps burn too long each day, as 12 hours may be
excessive. I think my problems are caused by a lack of (or very low level
of) nutrients for the higher plants.

Just my $0.02 worth from an aspiring future expert.

Phil Behrends
Colorado Springs, CO