Re: algae, H2O2, SOD, et al.

George,

"Since the rotting of the straw prevents algae from developing, but
doesn't
affect the growth of fish or higher plants, I figured that algae must
lack
the protective mechanisms against oxyradicals such as catalase and SOD
found in higher organisms.  Since I don't know plant physiology, I do
not know
what enzymes algae may have for defending against oxyradicals."  by
Karla Booth

That's what I thought until I did a literature search and found that
cyanobateria do
indeed contain a SOD and catalase genes.  I also found this abstract:

Hydrogen peroxide inhibits the growth of cyanobacteria.
Samuilov VD, Bezryadnov DV, Gusev MV, Kitashov AV, Fedorenko TA
Department of Cell Physiology and Immunology, School of Biology,
Lomonosov Moscow State University, Moscow, 119899, Russia.

 Their conclusion was "The data suggest an inhibitory effect of H2O2 on
the growth of the cyanobacteria. H2O2 is unlikely to serve as an
electron donor during photosynthesis."

Maybe their SOD and catalase is only protective against intracellular
oxygen free radicals, and not extracellular?

Lobos