Re: Cables, RFUG's & flourite

Tom wrote
This is the biggest bone I have to pick with cables. In order to work
""consistently"" the ambient temp needs to be a cool stable rate(like George
and Karla's place). Otherwise you have varying flows from too much to too
little going through the substrate depending on ambient temp. This always
bugged me. Maybe I can come over and set up my tank at George's? Please?<<

Wow, thats no small thing. I cant imagine many people out there having the
luxury of central air,  and even if they do keeping a constant temp year
round. My parents instilled in my being 40 years ago waste not want not. I
dont crank on the AC unless its over 90 degreesF, and in the winter I dont
turn the heat on unless I am shivering with a sweater on!

>>4) Aquascaping..........ahhhh forgot about that one didn't you? Cables and
RFUG require the same depth to work as do most other layering substrates and
keeping things layered properly over time can prove very difficult. I can
keep my gravel level down to 1/2 inch in front and 6-7 inches in back. With
cables? Yes you could but you would have to pull the cables back from the
Front edge. Using most sands and gravels this will not last long. Flourite
of all the substrates out there moves around the least. It stays put. **The
usefulness of the same depth is quite debatable using cables I admit.** Some
of the areas are shallow and some are deep & these pose little issue for
currents......if you can keep them consistent. That's why I went back to the
RFUG's. At least things were all the same in the substrate and with flourite
also this is the case. A nice homogenous substrate is a nice thing<g> for
aquascaping and terracing-sloping that doesn't move. Amano has some plates
that sort of may help this out keeping the the substrate from shifting.<<

This would be a biggie for me not to use cables as well. I put much more
emphasise on the design of the aquascape than than if the plants grows fast
enough or the longevity of the plants over the next five years. I am
experimenting with different techniques of terracing, and lately I am very
interested in complex rockwork. In my latest effort I have purposely left
the foreground substrate very shallow, less than an inch, with only tenellus
growing in it. The substrate is raised by 8 to 10 inches on either side of
it. This was why I got in the hobby in the first place, being spellbound by
the sheer look of it all.
My next project will be an aquascape featuring an entanglement of small
tree/shrub roots coming out of the backglass, out from inbetween rocks and
wood, and a substrate of varying heights all with tall and short plants. It
doesnt sound as if this would work well with substrate heaters. Tom,  do you
think you would have the same results with Profile?

Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com
free shipping!