Rapid or Trigger Start Ballast Wiring Question

Hi -- I found this diagram at The Krib
http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/fluor-goldwasser.html  Can someone explain why
there seem to be three pins at one end of the fluorescent tube?  Are the two
pins marked "X" actually connected?  The diagram on the ballast box is even
more mysterious -- it shows one wire (apparently) connecting to the glass
body of the tube!  How do I wire this thing?  Thanks! -- SL

Below is the wiring diagram for a single lamp rapid or trigger start
ballast.  The color coding is fairly standard.  The same ballast could
be used for an F20-T12, F15-T12, F15-T8, or F14-T12 lamp.  A similar
ballast for a Circline fixture could be used with an FC16-T10 or
lamp FC12-T10 (no interlock).

               Power Switch  +--------------------------+
 Line 1 (H) o----/ ----------|Black  Rapid/Trigger      |
                       +-----|White      Start       Red|-----+
                       |  +--|Blue      Ballast      Red|--+  |
                       |  |       Grounded | Reflector     |  |
                       |  +----|-     Fluorescent    -|----+  |
 Line 2 (N) o-----------------x|-  (bipin or circ.)  -|-------+