Re: Booth's heating cables

>> Do soil substrates work as well as gravel w/ heating cables?

Booth:

>Many folks (Steve, Neil, Diana come to mind) seem to have great low tech
>tanks with soil.

I should have asked the question differently; Do heating cables work WITH a
soil substrate?  Keep in mind my soil substrates are a blend of
vermiculite, peat, clay (small %) and sand so compacting isnt a problem.

I also have some doubts about whether or not spiking the substrate with
micro-nutrients will correct the problem of the 12-18mth plantgrowth
"shutdown".  Yes, there is improvement but its only a fraction of that
before te 12-18mth period.

My intention is not a Walstad aquarium but instead "continuous plant
production"... unfaltering.

See my NEW AQUARIUM HARDWARE & TOOLKIT:
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.floridadriftwood.com
eBay specials;  http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/boukmn/