MS-222

Date:	Mon, 3 Jul 2000 10:35:15 -0400
From:	"Anna Burbank" <burbank at voicenet_com>
Subject:	Re: euthanasia by Alka-Seltzer???

You can order MS-222, a fish anesthetic, and overdose the fish.  This seems more humane to me.  It's available from Argent Chemicals, http://www.argent-labs.com/ , under the name of finquel for about $10 (US) per 5 gram bottle.  I know this is off topic, but I would personally hate to be killed in some of the recommended ways and feel this is a service to the fish that grace our planted tanks.

Huh.  For some reason, I was under the impression that you could only get this stuff if you were a scientific institution.  Evidently, I was wrong.  I use this product quite a bit, both for anesthesia and euthanasia, and I would definitely recommend it over freezing, sodium bicarb, pithing, etc.  Another advantage to having this stuff around is that if you are careful, you can use it to calm your fish down in case you need to take a skin scraping or any other out-of-the-water procedure.  I stress the words "If you are careful."  Different species and sizes of fish have different reactions, and the action is somewhat temperature dependent.  Thanks, Anna!
Regards
Dave Gauthier