Re: Purchase and the Dupla Barley Straw Reactor

J.P. Wrote:

>I don't know if sunlight is required to make this process work, but Dupla
>has a new product on their web site which appears to be a Barley Straw
>Reactor. They have not released any information about this device (at least
>not in English), but it appears to be a slightly modified version of their
>Dupla Reactor "S" (large CO2 reastor). The major difference seems to be
>(from the photo) is that the reactor chamber is black. This would indicate
>that, as far as Dupla research would indicate, that whatever reaction is
>taking place between the Barley Straw and the algae, light is not a factor.
>Some of you might disagree, but Dupla rarely introduces a product which
>doesn't work, and they do have the facilities and the expertise to conduct
>research on their products before bringing them to market.

Well, well... the plot thickens... a Barley Straw reactor form Dupla no
less!  Let's not stop experimenting though, my guess is such a Dupla
product will cost big buck$ !  Don't leave us hanging James, give us a link!

>It was also suggested that the real agent at work here is H2O2. If this is
>the case, it would seem to me that you could dispense with the barley straw
>all together, and just dose hydrogen peroxide. I believe that several
>European companies have sold equipment designed to do this sort of thing -
>again, I have no idea how effective they are. But given the "tinkering"
>abilities of people on this list, it shouldn't be difficult to cobble
>something together to test out the theory.

That seems to make perfect sense to me.  H2O2 is light sensitive, that's
why peroxide is mostly sold in opaque plastic.  If you follow the
reasoning, then its not light that makes Barley straw work, but oxygen.
Pure speculation here, but could pond straw in English ponds work b/c the
oxygen is greatest AT THE SURFACE of the pond allowing the Rxn w/ the straw
& production of peroxides? Can it be that this fact is misinterpreted as
the straw needing light to activate?

See my NEW AQUARIUM HARDWARE & TOOLKIT:
http://www.floridadriftwood.com/aquariumlandscapes.html
HOMEPAGE:  http://www.floridadriftwood.com