Re: alage control/H2O2 and straw

Tom Barr asked concerning H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide):

> It shouldn't hurt much if I overdose? What would the symptoms of an overdose
> look like?

That's an easy one Tom. All of the fish would be floating belly up, dead
snails would litter the substrate, and all of the plants would be brown.

IME, a level of 1 oz per 12 gallons of water (if added at one time) is
safe, even for Krib fry. However, if the tank contains Otto's, you
should reduce that to 1 oz per 20 gallons. If it's a plant only tank,
you can increase the amount to 2 oz per 10 gallons, but this level will
kill snails, knock the plants back a bit, and set the tank back to
square one in stabilizing. Hope this gives you some idea as to a
starting point for your IV drip.

Question. How long does H2O2 stay active in water? I read somewhere a
while back (can't remember where), that H2O2 drops the extra hydrogen
atom and reverts to water after 10 hours.

Augie Eppler
Green Cove Springs, Fl