Compact light replacements

    I've been lurking around the list for quite a while, may have sent
in a reply to a message once. I have seen lots of valuable
information, and now I have a question of my own.
    One of my aquariums is a 14 gallon plexiglass hexagon which
came with its own unusual light fixture, a small plastic box with
a plexiglass bottom containing one 12" 8 watt flourescent tube with
a remarkable output (which I enhanced by adding a reflector). It has
an external "power brick" device which I presume is the ballast
(rated for a single lamp of 7-9 watts), and a starter socket that I
added so I could use a timer (I think I did post a question to the
list back when I wanted to do that, and was given some very
helpful instructions). The sockets for the tube are mounted at
opposite ends of a part made of that white plastic that turns
yellow, cracks, and falls apart (probably especially when exposed to
UV light due to being right next to a flourescent aquarium/plant
type tube). The sockets are very stiff as well and I would at least
like to replace them (I'm afraid I'm going to break the tubes
installing or removing them).
    It is this plastic part that has given me fits, it has
disintegrated to the point where I can't reassemble the lamp after
a recent cleaning. I could use duct-tape, but would rather not. I
would really like to either replace the white bit, or, even
better, relpace the "guts" of the lamp with a socket for one of the
new compact (U-shaped) eight or preferably 9 watt tubes which
should provide better light output in the aquarium's new home
where there is less indirect daylight, and also potentially
cheaper replacement of bulbs.
    Can this be done (my local "Home Depot" store doesn't even
have anything resembling the parts. except perhaps for sockets
for conventional tubes. Can anyone reccomend a good
supplier (presumably online) for the kinds of parts I want. I am
also interested in any opinion about whether or not my ballast
unit could support the kind of lamp I am interested in.
    The ballast unit is made by Radionic Industries Inc. and is
labeled thusly (Direct qoute of everything but the UL listing seal):
"CAT. NO. WP-789 for one 6-7-8-9 watt
120V 60Hz 18A
Indoor use only Taiwan
0688"

    I want to keep my plants happy in their new home, and this
fixture is the physically biggest thing that this tank can
accomodate (the enclosure is speciffically made to fit an opening on
the top of the tank, so I am hoping for your advice about what to do.