Re: "H" and the Peat solution

>From: brendafw at gte_net
>In ponding/watergardening circles, decaying barley straw is said to release
>algae retarding chemicals and prevent new growth of string algae. Probably
>the same principle as the decaying peat. I have used barley straw in my
>watergarden successfully to combat string algae, but my water turned
>brownish, so I discontinued using it.

As far as I know, peat is not known to release chemicals which inhibit
algae... so it is different than decaying straw. Peat can lower pH which
can change the the conditions favoring certain microscopic flora and will
encourage many vascular plants to grow which in turn can make life
difficult for algae. Peat can also stain the water, at least temporarily.

Neil