Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #364

On the subject of using peat in the substrate, I mainly use soil under
gravel as my substrate for most of my planted aquariums.  This approach
has proven itself over and over for many years.  About 1 yeat ago, I
tried using 1/3 peat 2/3 soil and this too worked.  It didn't work
better though.  So, does anyone know what the role of peat is in the
substrate.  Is it simply an additional source of organic material that
will produce CO2?  Or does it add something else?  My experience with it
is that I cannot observe any difference with it in the soil.

Joe Hildreth
15 Cedar Street
Potsdam,NY 13676