Re: Fluoride

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Sylvia wrote:

> I'm not sure flouride will harden eggs. It is toxic though, and can cause
> numerous health problems in humans, and I would suppose fish as well. There
> is an ongoing crusade in some towns to petition and get their local
> municipalities to stop flouridating the water. I recall many years ago some
> European country began flouridating water and when they noticed deleterious
> effects on the health of the population they discontinued it.

About 2/3 of the U.S. population is served with fluoridated water.  For
some reason communities in California lag that rate.  I have no dependable
(i.e., regulatory or peer-reviewed) source indicating that fluoride at
water supply levels causes any problem with aquatic life.  The *only*
human health problem I'm aware of is caused by high doses of fluoride --
higher than you're getting from fluoridated water.  Fluorosis is a
mottling of the teeth caused by high levels of fluoride; at sufficiently
high levels it causes disfiguration of the teeth and some bone growth
abnormalities.

G. Kadar pointed out some time back that high fluoride doses can come from
swallowing fluoridated tooth paste.  If you know of anyone who has a
fluorosis problem then I suspect that is it's cause.  You're probably more
likely to know people who have dental problems because they grew up
without fluoridated water.

Roger Miller