RE: Peat Questions

Stuart W asked some questions about "peat":

> I am interested in using peat both as a means of acidifying /
> softening water and potentially as a substrate addtion.  My
> problem is that I am not sure which form of peat available in
> Australia matches that which is used elsewhere.  I have found
> various descriptions which lead me to different conclusions.

You are not alone in your confusion. Both this list and the USENET
newsgroups frequently contain similar requests.

> I am able to buy Peat in four forms.
> 1) An expensive granulated form from an aquarium / LFS.
> 2) In a mini-bale from a gardening supply store.  This is black
> and crumbly and resembles dirt with some decayed organic matter in it.
> 3) As sphagnum moss from a gardening supply store.  This consists
> of pale brown or green branched, fibrous strands of moss.
> 4) As compressed bricks or pellets from a gardening supply store.
>  These are dry, hard and pale brown and supposedly swell to many
> times their original size when placed in water.
>
> It is my understanding that peat bogs are formed from sphagnum
> moss.  But I am not sure whether it is the surface or the decayed
> matter that is useful in an aquarium situation.

The term "peat" can and is used to refer to the undecayed remains of a
number of different bog plants. The main reason that the material remains
"undecayed" is that the pH of the material and the water that they sit in is
low enoough to inhibit or prevent the growth of those types of bacteria
which would break down and mineralize the dead plant tissue.

Sphagnum peat is the most commonly available type (commercially), purely due
to the fact that countries like Canada (especially) and the United States
have enormous acerages of Sphagnum moss bogs which are harvested as
renewable resources. Various species of Sphagnum also occur over much of
northern Europe. It makes very little/no difference _which_ species of
Sphagnum you use - they all seem to have the same effect(i.e. adsorb Ca++
and Mg++ ions, lowering the hardness of the water and releasing H+ ions,
lowering the pH). But "peat" can be formed from other bog plants and sedges,
and they might not have the same qualities we are looking for - so look for
"Sphagnum Peat" on the label.

As you note, peat is avaiailable in several "form factors". Which you use
depends upon your intended purpose.

> 1) An expensive granulated form from an aquarium / LFS.

Hagen (Fluval), Eheim, Sera, and a few other companies sell processed peat
for use in aquariums. As you note, it is expensive (at least relative to the
other forms which you can get from a garden center), but it is also totally
"safe" for use in an aquarium - i.e. there are no added fertilizers or other
additives which could cause problems. Basically, these products are merely
finely ground sphagnum peat which has been processed (compressed) into
little balls.

Personally, I have found that a little goes a long way - the finer the
grind, the stronger the action. I have used this type in substrates, but I
find that it is a little strong in its action, and it is easy to use too
much.

> 2) In a mini-bale from a gardening supply store.  This is black
> and crumbly and resembles dirt with some decayed organic matter in it.

A less "processed" form of the above. This is the type which most people
would use in an aquarium. Make sure that it is labelled as pure Sphagnum
Peat and that it contains _no_ additives (like fertilizers). If used to
soften/acidify water, it should be encased in a fine mesh bag (i.e. old
nylon stocking) to prevent the fine particles from fouling the water column.
It will definately leach tannins and color your water yellow/brown. If you
find this objectionable, most of the color can be removed by the use of
activated carbon before you use the water in your aquariums.

If you are thinking of adding peat to your substrate, this is the type to
look for (it's cheap and effective).

> 3) As sphagnum moss from a gardening supply store.  This consists
> of pale brown or green branched, fibrous strands of moss.

An "unmilled" version of the product - you can actually see the individual
plants and tell that they are mosses. Used mainly as a spawning medium to
hold eggs by killie enthusiasts. The acidic nature of the moss helps to
inhibit molds which could attact the eggs. I have never used this type of
peat to soften/acidify water but I would guess that its action would be
milder than either of the earlier two.

> 4) As compressed bricks or pellets from a gardening supply store.
>  These are dry, hard and pale brown and supposedly swell to many
> times their original size when placed in water.

A slightly more processed (compressed) form of #2. Again, make sure that it
is labelled as pure Sphagnum Peat and contains no fertilizers or additives.
Can be used interchangeably with #2.

Hope that this helps.

James Purchase
Toronto