Dechlorinator

Is it perfectly all right to add dechlorinator to the tank and then add the water.  I have always mixed it together in the past and let it sit a while.  Is the dechlorinating process an instant thing?  How fast does chlorine or chloramine affect fish.

And how much can you add to the tank safely without adding dechlorinator if you are in a hurry or run out.  I don't know if anyone else has done this before but I was 3/4 of the way into a water change when I realized I was out of dechlorinator.  I rushed to the store and this got me thinking about the above.

Thanks,

Michael