Re:cloudy water

In a message dated 6/19/2000 3:56:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,

> I got a 2ft tank which is very cloudy for the last 1 week, jus upgraded the
>  top filter to a Ehiem 2233 external filter yesterday, but there isnt any
>  improvement.. i read that it could be a bacteria boom.. there is any other
>  ways to get rid of it?

I have found several things that are often sources of cloudy water:
    1. Hidden dead fish or snails
    2. Overfeeding
    3. Lack of circulation of water and therefore stale water on the bottom
layers of the water column
    4. Too many nutrients-from food-overstocking of fish(fecal products here)

Improving the circulation with airstones often helps.   Hunt for dead animals
in hidden corners, rocks, gravel, etc..  If you have added medication, it
might have killed snails.   Cutting down on fishfood or removing excess fish
sometimes helps too.   Corner Filters  with fine gravel topped by filter
floss are sometimes helpful as a temporary measure.   Massive water changes
sometimes bring very temporary relief, but do not usually solve the problem
until the source of the trouble is corrected.

Elmer Morehouse