Re: Kold Steril (was APD V4 #351

  >Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 22:56:02 +0000
  >From: George Slusarczuk <yurko at warwick_net>
  >Subject: Re: Kold Steril (was APD V4 #351
  >
  >Hello Edward,

<text deleted>

  >You did not, however, give the metal concentration specifications for
  >the starting water, nor for the effluent, and that is crucial.
  >
  >What will be the concentration of the six metals (advertised as being
  >removed) in the FIRST 10 gal of the effluent, as well as in the LAST 10
  >gal, (i.e. in the 0-10 gal. & 4990-5000 gal. fraction of the effluent)
  >starting, say, with a 0.1 ppm concentration of each metal in the
  >starting raw water.
  >
  >That would give one a feeling for both the efficacy and capacity of the
  >system. For some reason these figures are not provided on the website.

Hello George,

First  of  all  the  Kold  Ster-il (r) is  designed  to  filter  potable
water .  Your question eliminates any potable water filter  because  your
situation  is totally nonpotable  water.

Under  US  EPA   Standards :  Maximum  allowable  concentrations  of these
contaminates: Lead   0.015mg/L    ,   Mercury 0.002mg/L ,  Cadmium
0.005mg/L .   Your question invents  a  situation  where  a  constant
0.100 mg/L  of  each metal  is  to  be   tested.   You need to  visit  the
manufacturer's website and  then ask  them the question  again.   In
challege  under  ANSI/NSF  Standards  53,53b for  heavy  metals ,  filter
media  are  subjected  to   0.150 mg/L  concentration of  each  of  the
three  metals  i.e.  Lead, Mercury, Cadmium.  Kold Ster-il's last  canister
will  sorb  1500 gallons of  the  three  heavy  metals at  a   0.150 mg/L
or   150  part-per-billion  x  3  or  450  part-per-billion.

The  first  stage  medium  will  sorb    0.150 mg/L  of  the  three  metals
for   2500  gallons.  So  the Kold  Ster-il (r)  is  capable
of  stripping thousands  of  times  the  legal  (potable  water
concentration)  of  heavy metals  for  4,000  gallon  of  water.  The  other
three  heavy  metals copper, iron  and  zinc   are  also  listed  on  the
website.

U.S  EPA     Standards    Copper  1.0mg/L  ,  Iron  0.30mg/L,  Zinc
5.00mg/L.  Obviously  the  copper  and  zinc  concentrations  allowable  in
drinking  water would  kill  fish &  invertebrates.  Our  system  provides
under  0.100 mg/L concentration  for   5000  gallons.  You  cannot   test
all   six  metals  at  the  same  time  because  of the  synergistic
reactions  involved --- the manufacturer  tested   the  three  low
concentration metals  (lead, mercury & cadmium)  together  in feshwater  &
saline.

They next  tested  the  three  high  metals (iron,copper & zinc) together in
both  freshwater  and  saline.  The  results  are  posted  on their website.
The  tests  were  performed  in  US  Medical  School 's  Dept.  of
Toxicology under   US  EPA   Standards.

Any further questions on this thread will be done in private email.  Email
me at puffie at marine-monsters_com

Edward
www.marine-monsters.com