Re: Kitty litter substrate

I've also found that in my 55 gallon with almotst exclusively kitty litter
that plant roots penetrate eagerly.  I have a friend with a 125 gallon all
kitty litter substrate with 1.5 inches "gravel" on top.  He had to tear it
down when he moved.  The plants had grown so well that the substrate was
almost one large mass of roots!!!  I've noticed in my kitty litter substrates
that the 'soil' is actually not very compact.  In fact it seems to be almost
in a state of suspension.  It woldn't take much water flow to greatly disturb
it.  However I also notice the roots on the side of the aquarium (looking
through the glass) growing very well, especially with my Glosso which has
rapidly grown through the 1.5 inch of "play sand" into the kitty litter.
This glosso, from several 'sprigs' has grown into a virtual carpet in only 4
months.  And I haven't added any CO2!!!  I love my kitty litter substrate!!!
Eric