Re: windowsill planted tank...

I have two small tanks on a window sill. They get direct sunlight
early in the morning, for 2-3 hours. Both have plants and fish. There
don't appear to be any ill-effects, and the plants to very well. I
used to use heaters and artificial light during the winter, but now
that it got warmer, I don't use either.

I would be concerned about a window-sill tank if it got direct sun
light in early afternoon, when the light is very strong. A small tank
could have large temperature fluctuations in that way.
But morning or evening light should be ok.

Jan