No Subject

----- Begin Included Message -----

From BHudson at techmar_com Fri Jun 16 15:50 EDT 2000
From: Bob Hudson <BHudson at techmar_com>
To: "'busko at stsci_edu'" <busko at stsci_edu>
Subject: APD post
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:54:42 -0700

Ivo, Could you post this to the list for me since my computer is down?

Dwight posted: > I've been hearing rumors that Ambulia Limnophilia indica
has been banned > by almost half of the 50 USA states. Is this true? Is it
now illegal to > sell this plant? > > What I'd REALLY like to know is how
are small shippers supposed to navigate > the shifting sands of state laws
for every single plant? Is there a > central location where I can get
state-by-state updates on what these > politicos are going to ban next?
<http://plants.usda.gov/plants/> contains both federal and state listings of
designated "noxious weeds". Limnophila sessiliflora appears on the federal
noxious weed list, but that just means federal agencies are authorized to
take measures to control it where it appears in the wild, not that there's a
nationwide ban. It's also listed as a "Prohibited aquatic plant, Class 2" in
Florida and a "Class A Noxious Weed" in South Carolina. For background
reading on the patchwork of state and federal laws that apply, see
<http://www.cnie.org/nle/biodv-26.html> (Congressional Research Report for
Congress on Harmful Non-Native Species, April 1999). Another useful site is
the National Biological Information Infrastructure at
<http://www.nbii.gov/invasive/> <<<

The way it was explained to me by my supplier is that this form of Ambulia
and a couple of other plants are legal to ship across state lines, if legal
in that state, but require special permits from the USDA in order to do so.
These permits are both expensive, and a lot of work. Supposedly Arizona
Aquatic got popped for it a few months ago and since then has put on their
WEB site that the plants are illegal to ship, but "this is only temporary"
Of course they dont really want to tell their customers that the permits are
too expensive.
Robert Paul H
http://www.aquabotanic.com

----- End Included Message -----