Re: Is this fluorescent dark green stuff algae?

> Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:46:24 -0400
> From: "Luke Piasecki" <lpiasecki at home_com>
> Subject: Is this fluorescent dark green stuff algae?
>
> I have had algae before but something weird happened lately. My gravel and
> plants have been covered with something dark, almost fluorescent green. It
> looks like a very dense spider-web. The stuff is very easy to 'tear-off'
> whatever it glows on. It comes down in sheets almost effortlessly. The

Perfect description of Blue-Green Algae.  Actually it's cyanobacteria,
a combination of bacteria and algae.

I've experienced it when my tank ran out of nitrates (which probably
led to higher levels of phosphates in the water).  I believe that
BGA can fix nitrogen from the air, so the low nitrate thing makes
some sense.

--
Chuck Gadd