Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #347

>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:47:27 -0700
>From: Dave Gomberg <gomberg at wcf_com>
>Subject: Glass deposits solved?
>
>Some time ago I agreed to see if I could get someone to analyze those
>impossible-to-remove cover glass deposits if some folks would mail me some
>scrapings.
>
>Since nothing showed up, does that mean the problem has gone away?   I know
>it has for me, I took my cover glass off after it broke from the heat from
>the lights!
>
>- --
>Dave Gomberg, San Francisco            mailto:gomberg at wcf_com
>Jobe's Fern and Palm Spikes FREE        http://www.wcf.com/pam

Hi Dave,

Funny you should ask!  Eric Tulsky and I are both on the UC Berkeley
campus, and I mentioned the glass issue as the single first topic that
lured me into the APD a month ago.  By then this had become a passe topic,
but still oh-so fascinating to me.  From his interested reply and the fact
that he appears to be a chemist of some sort (am I right Eric?), I think he
may investigate the film on my glass.  This is a very interdisciplinary
collaboration!  I'm sure if he makes any determinations they will be shared
with all.

I'll reiterate my position that the deposits are within the pores of the
glass, hence impossible to remove by non-invasive scraping and scrubbing.

-Carmen  (who has resigned herself to the idea of the 96 watt bulb and a future
 		that may involve CO2 supplementation)

Carmen C. Robinett      Berkeley, CA   (510) 642-5971