RE: tank disaster...copper?

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 21:43:16 EDT, Pete Mohan wrote:

> In a message dated 06/07/2000 4:09:14 PM Eastern Daylight
> Time, Jon writes:
>
> >  The water pipes to my house
> >  are plastic and then short lenghts are copper.  My dad
> reasoned with me
> that
> >  unless the water sat in the copper pipes for a long time
> it would be
> >  impossible for copper toxicity to be the case.
>
> Hi Jon,
>     Disregard the following if you have already actually
> tested for Copper in
> your water.  A number of years ago a friend in Pittsburgh,
> Pennsylvania
> mentioned that the city reservoir was periodically coppered
> to control algae.
>  The copper levels were sufficently high to kill marine
> invertebrates and
> probably plants as well.  Any chance you are experiencing a similar
> phenomenon?
>
> Pete Mohan
> Kent Ohio

Pete,

While it may be true that some water suppliers do this, I'm sure that it's
not done in Pittsburgh.  The water supply is taken from the Allegheny River,
and other than a series of locks, there are no reservoirs that I know of.
There are communities surrounding the city, who may use reservoirs, but I
live about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh, and I have well water.

Bob Ashcraft