Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #337

Eric Deese wrote:

Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 08:34:46 -0400
From: Eric Deese <edeese at columbus_rr.com>
Subject: Re: Lighting Question

I didn't see this part of the question answered, so I thought I'd dive in.

>2)      Would it be a good idea to initially limit the "on" time for the new
>bulbs?  Kind of working the plants up to it before setting them on the 12-hr
>cycle?  I was wondering if a drastic light change would upset the crypts or
>incite an algal bloom.

You mention that you are moving from 24" (I assume 18W) to 2 x 30W.
This is roughly doubling the amount of light. It has always been my
experience that any time I change the lighting by a factor of 2, that there
is often significant crypt melting. I wouldn't think that simply modifying the
length of time that the lights are on would help in this situation, but I may
be wrong. The increase in lighting will not, by itself, incite an algal bloom.
The excess nitrogen from a massive crypt melt probably will.

Although changing your lighting may induce a crypt melt, this doesn't mean
crypt
death. I have suffered through several massive crypt melts over the
years, and they always recover. Just remember to keep everything else
in check when doing so.

Good luck,
Eric Deese   Columbus, Ohio  USA

Carmen replies:

Thanks for the input Eric!  I'll be careful.  I've certainly read that
crypts don't take to any sudden environmental changes--they'd just as soon
melt and wait for the dust to settle.  (Thanks for the heads up on the
nutrient issues in the event of a meltdown.)  But do you know if crypts can
adapt to slower light changes?  I was thinking of putting my new light at
the very fron of the tank (crypts are toward the back) and then inch it
ever so slightly closer to the plants over the period of several weeks.
Think they'd keep they're pretty little leaves on?

-

Carmen C. Robinett      Berkeley, CA   (510) 642-5971