Re: may be off topic, but...

They claim to have a patented process for this. Patented process? It's a
brackish tank. For example, a 10 gallon tank should contain 9.5 oz. salt.
Sounds like a lot for a freshwater fish, to me.

A short copy and paste:

<<The pH will be 8.0 to 8.4. The salt level will be brackish 1.004 specific
gravity. Fresh water fish will have more color and more resistance to disease
at this salt level and pH level. No changes are needed in your fresh water
tank. Whatever you have in your fresh water tank is sufficient to put salt
water fish in. We have tanks that no water changes have been done to for 1
year! We just add more water due to evaporation.
If you do not change the water, more salt will never need to be added. This
can be done with any tank with fresh water fish in your tank over 30 days. A
new tank should have fresh water fish in the tank for 1 month or when ammonia
is 0.  >>

Hey, no water changes. Healthy fish. Sounds like a plan.

Along these lines, I was in a lfs the other day. An employee there was
telling me that the east Africa cichlids (including Tanganyikan fish) can be
kept in a tank with softwater fish. Just a matter of acclimating them over
time (a week or two he suggested). Keep them in a bucket and keep bringing
down the pH and hardness till it matches your tank.

Do people really do this stuff?

Sylvia