Re: AARRGGG!!! THERE ARE BUGS IN MY TANK!!!

Damian Maddalena wrote:

>THERE ARE BUGS IN MY TANK!!!!!
>I took the top off my 20 gallon to do a water change and, sitting all over
>the plants that rest on the surface, were 100s of little bugs!!!!
>
>To the naked eye, these bugs have six legs; the main part of their body is
>round to oval in nature, and is capped off with a tiny little head that has
>two antennas extending off the front. The larger ones (roughly 1 or 2 mm in
>size) appear to be tanish in color, while the littlest ones look white to
>clear.
>
>They seem more at home on the plants (above the water) then they do
>swimming. I would even go as far to say that they seem to be doing what
>they can to remain on the plants........

They sound like aphids (plant lice).  If they are slow moving, that would
tend to confirm they are aphids.  You should try to get rid of them because
they are sucking the sap of your plants.  I had some once and got rid of
them by squashing as many as I could by rubbing the emersed parts of the
plants and then submerging all the emersed or floating parts of the plants.
The aphids can not live under water.

Paul Krombholz, central Mississippi, moisture is on the increase, and we
may get some rain over the next three or four days.