Clown Loaches, snail consumption and insanity

Hi All,
    I have a 29 gallon planted tank with a bit of a snail problem.  I have
heard before that clown loaches may actually eat the snails.  I like clown
loaches anyway so I bought a pair and put them in my tank.  They are
somewhat timid and they hide under my sole piece of driftwood alot.  I have
on two occasions, after my lights shut off, heard a strange snapping sound
coming from the tank.  It just happens once and is not repeated or
continuous.  Am I going crazy?  Do clown loaches eat snails?  Do they prefer
to feed at night?  Any insight into this would be appreciated.  I'd like to
think they are eating snails, I don't want to do anything more drastic.
Thanks in advance.

KSB