Re: Iron/Calcium/greenwater, etc

on 01:48 AM 6/12/00 , Eric Johnson wrote:

>Iron: My new Red Sea iron kit is showing 0.1 ppm in my two planted tanks. Is
>this enough? What do you shoot for? I'm seeing some signs of chlorosis in
>one of the tanks. Is there a good way to add iron without otherwise feeding
>algae?

I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this, but Red Sea test kits aren't
worth the water you mix them with. I wouldn't draw any conclusions until
you get a better kit (Hach, Lamotte, Seachem, Sera). I bought Red Sea's $30
"Master test kit" and the only kit I've found to work consistently is the
Ammonia kit, which is just the standard Nessler thing.

I shoot for 0.1 ppm iron when I'm not having any algae problems and "just a
trace" when I am.

--
michael moncur   mgm at starlingtech_com   http://www.starlingtech.com/
"Man is the only animal that laughs and has a state legislature."