Re: Potassium carbonate

Roger Miller wrote:

Probably a worse idea than using potassium bicarbonate.  Both provide
about 14 mg K per degree of buffer capacity, but potassium carbonate is a
fairly strong base and it might put your pH through the roof.  You should
be able to correct that with added CO2, but it's a problem that you don't
have to deal with (at least not to the same degree) if you use potassium
bicarbonate.

I wonder:

Probably a stupid question but I gotta ask. Will the CO2 disolved in a
solution of potassium carbonate react to form potassium bicarbonate? I think
I read somewhere that some water utilities use calcium carbonate and CO2 to
control the pH of tap water.

Wayne