Re: Zinc contamination

Paul recently noted that he suspects his rice strainer to be a possible
source of contamination in his tanks (he used it to rinse his gravel).

Any well stocked "Kitchen store" should have plastic strainers / collanders
meant for pasta which should work fine - if they are "food safe", surely
they would be aquarium safe. Another possibility, also available at any good
kitchen store, would be a stainless steel strainer. These are expensive, but
usually very well made and very long lasting...... I have been using the
same Italian made stainless steel strainer to clean aquarium gravel for
around 5 years and it looks as good now as it did the day I bought it. The
brand name is Alessi, I believe, and they should be available widely.

James Purchase
Toronto