Re: Aquatic Plants Digest V4 #327

> Date: Mon,  5 Jun 2000 08:59:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard J. Sexton"

> >Don't let moskitos at your daphnia as they eat em.  and
> >quickly.
>
> Mosquitos are filter feeders and do/can NOT eat daphnia.

Never watched 'em feed off Daphnia, but have seen 'em eat Artemia. Laid eggs
in a low SG outdoor "pond" (kiddie pool) and destroyed an entire culture.
For some reason, they like to start at the tail, and can consume an entire
adult Artemia inside of three minutes - one rapid munch after another.

I'd have to say that their abilities go a bit beyond mere filter feeding -
at least for Culex sp...

-Y-

David A. Youngker
nestor10 at mindspring_com