Low growing plants

It was a happy accident, but I've gotten hygrophila polysperma, h. difformis
and hteranthera zosterfolia  to creep as a low-growing ground cover. Planting
the stems in almost horizontal in the gravel seems to encourage this, and
once it starts creeping, it grows horizontally, rather than vertically.
Lighting doesn't seem to be an issue.

In the case of the stargrass, I believe the stems were actually not rigid
enough to grow up, due possibly? to softwater conditions.

Sylvia