Re: Walstad's methods (on water changes)

> Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 04:05:33 -0400
> From: Amy <amyh at atl_mediaone.net>
> Subject: Walstad's methods
>
> Hi all,
>
> Just bought Diana Walstad's new book and must say I'm sorta shocked. In
> it, she advocates nearly NO water changes and says she changes the water
> in her tanks oh, about once every six months. While I'm used to
> conflicting advice and methods in aquaria, the one thing that has seemed
> to be a hard-and-fast rule is frequent water changes. Is anyone using
> her methods?

I've never changed the water in any of my tanks as frequently as some of you
do.  Ten years ago I didn't change the water because I was ignorant.  Now I
don't change the water 'cause I'm lazy.  Of course, I've never stocked any
of my tanks with as many fish as most people do, either...  My fish have
always been healthy.  I've experience only a couple of outbreaks of ich in
the 15 years that I've been keeping fish.  Now that I've started keeping
plants, however, I must admit that I've started changing the water more
often.  It seems that the plants are more sensitive to losing trace elements
than fish are...
I can't imagine changing the water on my tanks every week.  With all that
work, when do you find time to just sit and look at your aquarium?
Dave Engle

Jacksonville, NC (where, right now, the thunder rolls...)