Re: Parasitic/worm infestations

I wish I knew where my fish got them. I got 3 rams from the same batch. 1
went into a 55 gal tank, and 2 went into a 20 gal tank with cardinal & neon
tetras (they all moved to a 29 gal later).

All have gotten the same food. I've fed frozen & flake. The only fresh they
got was store-bought brine shrimp. If anything, the singular ram in the other
tank has had more exposure to various fish in and out, than the couple had.
This was a rather *protected* tank, since neons tend to pick up anything
going around, and I don't usually introduce new fish in there.

One thing that I'm thinking is a possibility . . . and I'm grasping at straws
because I am clueless about the subject at hand . . . the couple killed off 2
otocinclus that were in the 20 gal with them. Well, I know they killed the
first, because it was found dead and injured. The second was never found, but
last seen clinging to the top of the pennywort leaves at the opposite side of
the tank, in the far corner, from the breeding spot. I'm wondering whether
they actually decided to consume it as well?

I'm trying to place the beginning of this. Their real decline began after the
move to the new tank where they had one more successful breeding session, and
then the female started to decline. This would be about 4 weeks after moving.
Perhaps they can carry the parasite a bit and then a stress on the fish could
trigger a large infestation. Or maybe with these worms it doesn't matter how
vigorous or healthy the fish. If the worm is present, they'll infest and kill?

Sylvia