parasitic worms

Panacur will kill parasitic worms.  If you can get some from a vet, you can
either soak live brine shrimp with it, or make your own fish food with
gelatin and flakes,brine shrimp and the panacur.  The fish have to be in
good enough condition to be eating to treat them this way.

By the way, treating the fish in this manner should not affect your plants.

Aaron

"I don't know the damage the reddish-brown worms will do. I was told the
horsehair worms are very bad, and will kill the fish.
Sylvia"