Re: Stem plants growing roots on stem

Jon Hammond wrote:

Why is it that on some of my stem plants they are growing root systems along
the stem in various places ?? is this telling me something about my
fertilising light reigeme ? (daily dose flourish and flourish iron, DIY Co2,
60W lights over 30gal)

It indicates that your light is good, and probably your fertilizer levels,
too.

Many plants do this naturally.  Hygrophila polysperma, and Hydrocotyle
leucocephala, come to mind.  There are probably many others.  I don't think
I have seen Ludwigia do it, or Bacopa.  Hemianthus micranthemoides and
Micranthemum umbrosum do it.

If you cut back on light and/or CO2, then even Hygrophila polysperma stops
doing it, but the production of these roots is actually a sign of a healthy
plant.  Probably with even more light and a lot of room, these plants that
do this would become prostrate and spread in all directions.  This rooting
from the internodes makes more sense when they are doing that.

Paul Krombholz, in dry central Mississippi, where the infrequent chances
for rain keep missing us.