Rootless nitrogen sponges

I have a pair of angels spawning and a LFS that has expressed a couple times
they would be quicker to buy my angels than my Apistos.  No accounting for
taste, I guess.  I have decided that one thing that would help growth is to
add some plants to the fry tank.  I tend to use bare-bottomed tanks for
cichlid fry.  While Java fern and Anubias can be grown attached to a piece of
wood, they don't grow very fast, and I can't imagine that they would consume
much nitrate/nitrite/ammonia.  Java moss doesn't seem to do well in my tanks,
even though I like it for its ability to support infusoria.

Any ideas what I can use for a "nitrogen sponge" without cluttering the
bottom with pots and stuff the fry can get stuck under?

Bob Dixon