red flint filter sand

I hold in my hands a 5 lb sample bag of "red flint filter sand #20" from a
national building supply company.  This place supplies Estes, one of the
most popular brands at the LFS, with their raw gravel.  I have the
opportunity to get major quantities at what seems to be a fairly cheap bulk
price ($0.25 per pound, including shipping).  It perfectly bridges the gap
between a coarse sand and a fine gravel.  However, it's not really red; it's
a mix of gray, red, and white rounded pebbles, 1-2 mm in diameter.  It
didn't react with vinegar.  This is the raw product before it gets painted
and polished by Estes.  Any thoughts on what this is and it's usefullness as
a substrate?  Thanks, Kevin