Re: Help with PMDD

I had trouble with this posting so please forgive me if this is a duplicate.

I'm going to try making PMDD for the first time and need some advice from
the less chemically challenged members of the group.  I have a 20 gallon
tank, heavily planted with a Flourite substrate.  Light is provided by power
compacts (55 watts).  CO2 is provided by yeast.  Unfortunately I do not have
any test kits so I will use smaller doses and observation of the plants.
Currently plant growth is not very good.  My Amazon sword occasionally sends
up a bright yellow leaf and the new leaves on my stem plants (not sure of
the species; light green and red) are very thin and narrow instead of the
tear drop shaped older growth.

The PMDD formula I plan to use is:
1 Tbsp chelated trace element mix
2 Tsp K2SO4 (potassium sulfate)
1 Tsp KNO3 (potassium nitrate)
2.5 Tbsp MgSO4.7H2o (hydrated magnesium sulfate; aka epsom salts)
300mL distilled water

I had trouble locating K2SO4 (All Green is not sold in this area), but
instead purchased a lifetime supply of Sulfate of Potash which lists a
guaranteed analysis of Soluble Potash (K2O) 50%, Sulfur (S) 17%.  How should
I adjust the above PMDD formula for this substitution?

For the trace element mix I purchased 5 lbs of Microplex made by Miller
Chemical & Fertilizer Corp.  This mix is a little different than the mix
mentioned on The Krib and lists the following content: Mg 5.43%, B 0.5%, Co
0.05%, Cu 1.5%, Fe 4%, Mn 4%, Mo 0.1%, Zn 1.5%.  I am a little concerned
about the 1.5% chelated copper.  Do any of you think this will be a problem?
Since this mix has 5.43% Mg should I eliminate the epsom salts when using
this mix?

As an alternative to the use of the above mix, I am considering the use of a
product that I purchased for my lawn, however I do not know what dilution
and dosage to use or what problems it may introduce.  This product is a
liquid called Iron Combo-Chelate made by Baicor, Inc. of Logan, Utah.  This
liquid has an analysis of: Total Nitrogen 1% (urea nitrogen), Soluble Potash
2%, Sulfur 1%, Boron 0.2%, Copper 0.2%, Iron 4.5%, Manganese 1%, Zinc 1%.
The Cu, Fe, Mn and Zn are all chelated.  I would appreciate any ideas or
comments from list members on using this product, mix ratios with other PMDD
ingredients, potential problems and possible dosage levels.

Sincerely,

Scott Page
In Salt Lake City - home the the Aging Utah Jazz and the Olympic bribery
scandal.