Re: Madagascar lace plant

It is currently in style to lump all the madagascar lace plants together
into one species, Aponogeton madagascariensis, but there is one variety
that is quite different from the others.  It is a lot bigger, and its
leaves are longer and narrower.  It has pink flowers with five spikes,
instead of the two spikes of other varieties.  In addition, it does not
self-fertilize, whereas the other varieties I have had experience with
easily self-fertilize.  The flowers have stems that are 1.5 to 2.0 cm in
diameter.  When I had a plant of this speices, which Muhlberg, in The
Complete Guide to Water Plants, classifies as Aponogeton guillotii, it got
too large for my 75 gallon aquarium.