Why Ich?

All these posts on Ich makes me wonder.  I don't mean to brag but I
havent seen an outbreak of ich or other fish diseases in at least 15
years in my tanks.  I guess my "luck" has come from managing water
quality, especially nitirites, via biological filtration and water
changes (well water) - a lesson learned from my salt water days.

Some possible ich instigators?
- Stocking tanks too rapidly (before the bugs build up to match the fish
waste load)
- Watching water temperature during change-outs to minimize stress
- sterilizing filter pads when cleaning them - kills off the beneficial
bugs that metabolize waste - pads should be washed with cool
unchlorinated water only.
- water replacements with chlorinated water