Re: Ich & Temp

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Walter Klockers wrote:

> > Heat merely speeds up this cycle; it does nothing to kill or
> > weaken the parasite.
>
> What cured my fish then, if I used no meds? Have you ever attempted
> to use heat itself as a cure? If not, how can you say it doesn't work?

I've read that elevated temperatures stimulate fish's immune systems.
Perhaps the fish managed to take care of the infection themselves.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the last ich outbreak I had in any
of my tankes (years ago, now) caused me to euthenize a bleeding heart
tetra, but otherwise I just raised the tank temperature up to about 90
degrees for a while.

Roger Miller