Curing ick

There seems to be a misunderstanding about ick and temperature.

The disease is caused by a parasite. When it's on the fish it
cannot be killed by anything. However, after a while it leaves the
fish to reproduce (or as larvae, I don't remember) and during this
free swimming stage it CAN be killed by various chemicals in the
water.

Heat merely speeds up this cycle; it does nothing to kill or
weaken the parasite.

Many many things will kill ick. Nearly all of them either
kill plants, kill the fish (with scaleless fish such as
catfish being the most sensitive) or flat out don't work.

I've used "Jungle Life Guard" exclusively for more than
20 years now. I don't know if that is still the name for
their ICK cure, but, you don't need to raise the temperature,
it won't hurt scaleless (or even extremey small or otherwise
sensitive) fish and works ever time. No need to change water
after, either. I've never lost a fish to ick, ever.

--
Richard J. Sexton                                         richard at aquaria_net
Maitland House, Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada, K0K 1Y0       +1 (613) 473 1719