Re: [RML] Not fish but plant substrates

Such substrates have been beaten to death on the Aquatic Plants Digest
<Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com> , and the archives there would be a useful place
to start. I took the liberty of forwarding this to the APD, in hope the
experts there can contribute something more.

My personal experience, using that much organic matter (for a whole tank),
is that H2S or other smelly bubbles are going to be produced for a year or
two. I subsequently hold the organic content to not more than about 5% (by
volume, not weight) of the total substrate. YMMV.

We tend, lacking good laterite sources, to use sintered Fuller's Earth or
clay materials like "Profile," "Turface" or "Flourite" (yes, that's the way
they spell it) these days in the US. Otherwise our best substrates tend to
be very much like yours, but with less organics.

Wright

--

         "DEMOCRACY" is two wolves and a lamb voting on lunch.
     "LIBERTY" is a well-armed lamb denying enforcement of the vote.