Re: Gastromyzon/Pseudogastromyzon algae eaters

Dinyar Lalkaka wrote about the "good Chines Algae Eaters", which
really are from China and really do eat algae. I have had one of
these little fellows for about a year. It looks like a piscene vacuum
cleaner, steadily moving over glass, rocks, driftwood, and
broadleaved plants, cleaning algae. My tank has a moderate
current and very good aeration (from the plants), and the Borneo
Hillstream Loach (the name under which he was sold) appears to
be quite happy in these conditions. He doesn't seem to mind being
in the still parts of the tank, rather than in the current flow. He is
totally oblivious to the other fish, and they of him. He doesn't eat
any sort of prepared or live foods, only the algae (and whatever lives
in the algae). I can't say I'd use this fish as a primary algae control,
but he's an interesting and worthy addition to the tank. There's a
photo on my website here:
http://www.nfis.com/~hartland/aqua/other.html

Cathy Hartland
Middletown, MD