Heteranthera flowers

Today I was doing my weekly stargrass mowdown when I
noticed that I had just clipped off a stem with two
small purple flowers without realizing it.  I have
seen flowers grow far down under the surface but
drown.
Why that is I don't know.  This is the first time they
have broken the surface.  I set them aside with the
flowers above water in case they survive, but I would
like to know if it is possible to pollinate them.  Can
I just swab them with a Q-tip?  If seeds formed, how
should I plant them?

Also, I repeat my request for a source of Ammania
gracilis.  Thank you, Cavan.