Re: Few questions

"Jon Hammond" <geohammo at iinet_net.au> wrote:

> OK I have a few questions.  They have probably been asked before so for the
> sake of the other memebers of the list, please answer my queries personally.
>
> 1.  What is everyones opionions on Low pressure vs High pressure CO2
> injection.. what do you use and what works for you ?

I have a high pressure system (Dave Gomberg's) and am very happy with it.
Absolutely zero maintenance, high stability and eficiency.

> 2.  Does anyone use power compact floursecent lights ? How are they as
> compared to normal flourscent (spread of light, spectrum intensity etc?)

Many people (including myself) do, usually with success I think. A couple
types are included in my article at http://www.aquabotanic.com/lightcompare.htm
They are useful when you want to cram a lot of light into a tight space.
Costlier than a high-end T-8 system though. All types I know have tri-phospor
spectra, which combines high light output with high CRI.

> 3.  Last one.  I use phillips aquarelle bulbs.  I seems that the majority of
> the list memebers live in the USA and perhaps have not heard of this bulb.
> I suspect it is a new generation flourescent and I use them on my tank with
> great success.. They are from holland and are rated 10 000 K which is
> against what I have read on the list (you should use around 500oK bulbs).
> Is this because people havent heard of or used these bulbs before ? (in the
> US the ballasts are wrong to run them which could add to the reason no one
> has used them).. I know this topic was lightly flung around but I thought id
> bring it up again as it intruiges me why I have hardly heard of anyone else
> using such a good bulb :o)

I have included this bulb in my revised article. As far as one can tell
from the spectrum and lumen output, it is a high efficiency bulb of standard
tri-phospor type, whith some excess blue phospor addeed to bring up the color
temperature. Lots of blue light, but so do have other types used in planted
tanks, such as the GE SPX65 and Triton.

> Anyway thanks a lot :o)
>
> Jon Hammond
> Perth, Western Australia