Smuggling plants: Clear cut right/wrong??

I am an ecologist by training an it saddens me to see the rate of
destruction happening to the ecosystem here in malaysia due to the rapid
development.

while i agree with the merits of having quarantine, import-export laws and
regulations plus trade restrictions there is always 2 sides to a coin.

In Kean Huat's case i do not think he is about to mount a full scale
expedition that is going to rape the virgin rain forest we has here. in fact
all he may do is buy some plants from the shops as the plants are not
exactly found in all the drains of Kuala Lumpur. U have to know which drain
to look to be able to do that.

Introduction of exotic species.....well i think he would have come too late.
exotic pest are being introduced by the hundreds daily and most through
accidental legal means. Chances are 99.5% of the plants he is going to be
able to take back with him would be available in the states.

same goes with pathogens. most are already cosmopolitan. i'll bet my last
dollar he is not going to contract/bring in some new virus in his quest to
seach for aquatic plants. The possibility is there but then again how many
incoming flight do you have at a single airport any given day??

seeing the wonderful work done by those passionate about their interest.
plants saved from extinction due to collecters are known.  and it has been
acknowledged that most discoveries and conservation effort has been achived
not by scientists but amateurs devoted to their hobbies, i sometimes
hesitate to give full backing to the various laws.

What i believe is more important is education, such as being disseminated in
forums such as this on understanding the do's and don'ts in salvaging
plants, release to the wild etc. who knows through collections by these
people one day a species unprotected from loss of habitat here may make a
return from someones's aquarium.

the problem does not lie mainly with individuals but country wide demands of
wild caught animal trade  and greed of man thru development etc. I have seen
too many species decimated thru this.

as far as kean huat is concerned, if he needs help he is welcomed to contact
me

ali