Crinum calamistratum

I received this plant a few weeks ago, in somewhat poor condition. It had one
short root, about 1/4-1/2 inch, and a single, white leaf, cut off to about
1". It's attempting to grow new leaves. The other day, I was rooting around
in the tank, adding some iron/mineral tabs, and it seemed loose still. I
fiddled around a bit and out it came--it hadn't even attempted to root. I
noticed where roots had been (before shipment to me), there were circular
blackened spots, as if the roots had rotted off, and the one shortened root
was not doing anything. I nipped this root again with a knife and replanted
it. I guess the plant is growing from reserves in the bulb, but not real
well. Is there anything I can do with this to encourage growth & rooting?
Substrate is flourite and gravel w/terralit added.

Thanks in advance,

Sylvia