Metal Halide/ Mercury Vapour Lights

Dear watergardening gurus,

Does anyone know how Metal Halide/ MV lights work? Exactly?
Are they similar in design to flourescent lights? ie, the ballast is there
primarily to limit the current flowing thru the bulb, and they have a starter
unit to generate an initial electron flow thru the gas which then disconnects
once the lamp is ignited?
I have seen warnings printed on MH luminaires, "Warning: 4500Volts". I'm
guessing this may be the operating voltage but 4.5 kV seems a little
excessive for a tube that's about 10cm by 0.7cm. What's inside them? What
metal, and which halogen?

Are MV lights more or less similar to MH lights? I have seen both these types
in operation and can see no difference in their discernible light colour. How
do they operate?
Is there a website that anyone knows of where I can find this info?
Thanks very much,
Matt.
in my study, where i'm watching my new trickle filter VERY carefully. (It's
going on a new 30-high tetra tank,-....sweeeet.)