Re: Daphnia

       To: <Aquatic-Plants at actwin_com>
       Subject: Daphnia
       From: "Robert Dwyer" <Gunner at prodigy_net>
       Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 18:13:52 -0400

Robert Dwyer wrote:

I see many people talking about Daphnia.  I can only find the frozen type
(which my fish love).  Question is... Where can I get live Daphnia?  Can I
buy it or can I go to a stream somewhere and grab a netfull?  I read that
they live in streams.  I am in Staten Island NY and we have the Greenbelt
here with plenty of streams running through the woods.

You are much more likely to find them in ponds.  Try collecting after
sunset but before it gets fully dark, when they come up to the surface from
deeper down.  Be sure you just introduce Daphnia into your culture and not
other critters that prey on Daphnia, or might be a nuisance of some other
kind in your aquaria.

Paul Krombholz, in central Mississippi, where we missed another chance for
rain last night.